This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

AF: Surveillance

Lots of talk these days about privacy and Big Brother surveillance.  I found that this essay — referred to me by a friend (and former AP Language student) — offered some context that helped me think about the alarming stories in the news this week.

When I see this, I think we should be reading 1984, and not Brave New World.
NSA Whistleblower explains his motives

1 comment:

  1. I never read 1984, but have a little knowledge on the plot. George Orwell (I hope that's the author) and Aldous Huxley both wrote books that predicted inventions and customs of the modern world today. They were also both from time periods that never thought that was possible.

    Surveillance has become became a major issue with Bush, and now Barack Obama. Actually, I find it ironic that Obama condemn Bush and tried to veto the bill (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/us/politics/12intel.html?hp&_r=0) and is now defending the program.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.