This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Promiscuity Problems

I just finished Brave New World, and as I read through it I found it extremely interesting how Aldous Huxley uses a fictional story to comment on such a prevalent theme when he published the book in the 1930’s and in our society today. When he published it in 1932, the world was experiencing the rise of Fascism and totalitarian governments. He used Brave New World to critique governments that controlled every aspect of people’s lives. He also predicted the problems that genetic engineering could bring and addresses problems in our lives today such as the propaganda and commercials that the government uses to try to influence our everyday lives. This is why the book remains such a relevant story that still relates to readers today. However I had a question about why the World State encouraged its citizens to be so promiscuous. Did the World State do this in order to keep everyone pacified and not worried about long-term relationships?

2 comments:

  1. The World State demanded promiscuity because of pacification. There is a reason why they say, "Love is the strongest force the world possesses and yet it is the humblest imaginable," (Gandhi).
    The inhabitants of Brave New World saw sex as an act; mere entertainment without any passion. Relationships were not developed, and happy pills were as common as candy.
    There were no emotional attachment, and since they were dependent on the soma, it was easy to control the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a pretty good assessment of why sex had been reduced to mere entertainment. Rob people of love and connection -- love of nature, love for literature or learning, love for children, love between partners, replace that with consumerism, cheap thrills and narcotics -- and social control becomes easy. Nobody aspires for more because of their conditioning. Nobody can be roused to defend anything, except maybe their daily dose of soma.

    I'm excited for you kids who are finished with BNW to read Postman now. I just saw him cited today in a completely different context, and I momentarily lost my mind. I had to point to his name and make positive declarative statements to anyone who would listen to me. I love him so much that I feel like we're friends. Even though he's dead. Yes, he's definitely in my Pantheon of Dead Best Friends. Front row, and in good company.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.