This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

No Electronics Reflection

For the people who probably haven't read one of Mrs. Fletcher's threads, a while ago she gave us a separate assignment which was to try to stay away and off all or any type of electronics for a whole day. This is what she called a "technology fast" which is for 24 hours, with nothing by you; not your phone, computer, iPod, or tablet. I found this interesting and decided to try it out, to see what it would be like to isolate myself away from technology all day. I chose to do this on Friday, July 19th. I was never really the type of person that was always on their phone or playing games or watching t.v. and I wouldn't go on my computer unless it was for academic purposes (unless on some rare occasion in which I was bored). That is why I thought this assignment would be relatively easy. Being separated from technology gave me a new perspective on how it affected me. I was able to complete a lot of my summer work for Spanish and I finished the second assignment for English.

There were many times where I actually wanted to watch t.v. or go on my computer; not because I actually wanted to or was bored, just for the fact that I couldn't go on it. How is it that technology could affect us in a way that we can't control? Or is it that we think we can't control it? It makes us vulnerable because we rely on it so much. Whenever I want to know something or question a subject I research it. When I want to talk to someone or ask them a quick question I text or message them. When I need help on a certain assignment and my friends can't help me I email my teacher. Technology provides us with easy access and quick results which is why we are always on it. Many of my family members told me "I don't know how you can do it" and "I wouldn't be able to live without my phone". Those statements remind me of Amusing Ourselves to Death; we let electronics come easily into our lives and then we become attached to them. If you were to actually do this technology fast, how well would you do? How much will it affect you, and would you be able to last the full 24 hours?

1 comment:

  1. The expanding world of technology has an effect on our brains biochemistry that we can’t seem to control. Since technology plays a huge role in our daily lives, we started to rely on it. In a mere second, you can get answers to your questions just by searching the Net. Technology is basically our solution when we need quick results. If I was to do this technology fast, I don’t think I would do well. Unlike Ciairra, I’m the type of person that is usually on my phone or computer to use social media. When my phone is nearby, I have the sudden urge to use it. It’s as if electronic devices are clinging to me, and I can’t seem to detach them easily. I think that the technology fast would affect me in a good way because I would most likely do my summer homework, like Ciairra. I wouldn’t have any distractions to set me off from doing my work. All in all, I think I wouldn’t be able to survive 24 hours without technology because I’m the type that gets distracted very easily. I would get bored and turn to electronic devices for amusement.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.