This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Utopian society?
In Brave New World everything is handed to them, like they deserve to have no struggles in life. They don't have to earn anything, their life is already planned out for them. We have daily problems to deal with, and they don't have to worry about the future like we do. We encounter maanny more challenges than the characters in the book ever have to in their lives. In my opinion I would love to live in an utopian society for some time, but just not permanently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The same way that my father wants the U.S government to be a communist state in order to restart the economy.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. A world where unwanted feelings disappear with just a drink of somas. The great brain control of the World State that tampers the thought process of human beings is something we can deal with especially we aren't aware of these manipulations. Furthermore, it's a place where it offers stability. People have assigned jobs right when they are born and money is not an issue for them. Although I think they lack the sense of humanity. They seem to be a part of the machine (World State); where they are just a tool to keep the machines going and can be replaced once they rust or malfunction.
ReplyDeleteI agree and I disagree. Yes, it would be nice to live in this kind of society where you don't have to make hard choices in life and have no cares in the world because everything is already planned out for you. This means, however, that we would basically be mindless beings. As Mary mentioned earlier, the people of the World State do not have a sense of humanity. Because of this, they have no independent thought and the people would have to rely on the government for every decision that they make. This is where the government can take control and brainwash citizens into doing what they want.
ReplyDeleteThe World State is a dystopian society. People are stuck in their caste systems and don't get to make any choices for themselves. I agree with Mary, in that they lose their humanity while living in the World State. Anytime they experience an emotion they are advised to take soma. Everyone is dependent on soma just to get through the day. With the government controlling every aspect of their lives, no one is an individual in the World State.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you but at the same time I do not. It would be nice living in a utopian society where you do not have to make tough choices like we do now. If anything I would be more than happy to be in place like that for a day to escape a hard world. However, if you live in a place like that for to long where everything is planned out for you, the person will most likely be clueless on decision making. A person will become dependent on people and would want people to tell them what to do because they have no idea on how to do things idependently.
ReplyDeleteI think most people didn't understand what I was saying at the end, like I said before it would be great for some time, but not permanently. Having things handed to me would be great, anyone I'm sure would like it, but there comes a time when people need to earn the things being handed to them. I would want my decision making back after some time.
ReplyDelete