This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Reservation Versus World State

My observation spans over the whole book. I am trying to decide who lives the better life, those in the World State or those on the ReservationOn the first page of this book, we are brought into a laboratory in which babies are conceived through test tubes. Children are not raised by a mother and a father; infact, this is considered pornography in the World State. These children grow up with 100 other children all being raised by just a few nurses. As they grow up, they are conditioned to form friendships, and that’s it. On Reservations where a mother and father raise a family, the children are brought up and taught to love and form emotional attachments with their family. Children on the Reservation learn to love while children in the World State are taught that loving someone else is bad. Everyone dreams of a comfortable and luxurious life which those in the World State are accustomed to while those on the reservation struggle to make it day by day. However, those in the World State are still human. Humans need love and support as stated on the pyramid of success by John Wooden. Even though the people were conditioned not to love, Bernard shows that there is still a want to form attachments with others through his strong attraction to Lenina. Bernard is different though, for most people take soma when they start thinking like this. It’s tough to decide who has the better life. At a quick glance, one would say that those in the World State have the better life, but one has to think deeper to answer this. Those on the reservation have a loving family, and the support that comes with one. What’s more important, luxury or love? These are the flaws that exist in this futuristic world. Which would make someone happier? Could soma be the answer to escaping the need for love and support? Are people in the World State truly happier with their ability to avoid certain feelings like love?

5 comments:

  1. John Wooden, the UCLA basketball coach? THAT John Wooden? The Wizard of Westwood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just surprised. I think it's great that you cited him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this question, I for one haven't even thought about it this way. There is a lot of insight in this, for example, look at our world. It is completely messed up; there are so many things that are corrupt. But as for your question, luxury or love, did you ever think about how some people give up their love for luxury and vice versa? Some people leave all of their riches behind for the person they love; others give up the love they have once they inherit riches, they let go of their family, that special someone, and could obtain a big ego along with it.
    I like to think of the soma as the actions people take now. When someone is deeply depressed or hurt or extremely angry, instead of hitting a wall or yelling or crying they would take something to numb their bodies so they won't have to feel it. So they turn to drugs and alcohol. The soma is their heroine and alcohol. Just like in this world, when they feel overwhelmed they automatically think of taking the soma (as an addict would think about his drug). And I don't believe people in the World State are truly happier because they don't know what "happy" is. Without the real memories you get from friends and family, without experiencing love or sadness, how will you know what being happy feels like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, amazing question! In my opinion, people on the Reservation have it better. Me being a hopeless romantic, I would prefer love over luxury. I would rather be happy and live day by day than be miserable with luxury. So I believe the Reservation is a much better place to be. Don't get me wrong, The World State has some extraordinary advances that are amazing but I would rather be in the Reservation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Shannon, I am also a hopeless romantic. I would prefer to live with the emotional attachments of friendships, significant others, and most importantly, family than to live with luxury and riches and being alone. Though those in the book believe they are never alone because thee is always somewhere to be, something to do, or someone to meet. They can be with someone new every night, but they will always be, in some way, alone. If I had to choose between living a "unprivileged" life in the Reservation or a luxurious life in the State World, I'd choose to be in the Reservation because there, in my opinion, is true happiness.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.