This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Cat exploded...

... make good art. In Neil Gaiman's video he explains that the key to success is to do what you love, and enjoy doing it. He says to think of your goal as a mountain, and that everything you do, every job you take should be made with the thought of one day reaching that mountain. He gives another example of finding an opportunity that brings you closer as throwing bottles out to sea. You may have to throw more than a hundred before you get one back. As someone who has dreamed of pursuing a job in the arts, specifically in the field of illustration and comic arts, this speech really meant a lot to me. Neil Gaiman is known as one of the top comic book writers, and to be able to illustrate one of his stories is considered an honor to even the most professional of comic artists. There are times when I feel like everything I do is a waste. I'm just one of a thousand people who also want to pursue the same dream, many of whom are so much better than me. There are times when I just want to give up, put down my pencil and never draw again. But then you hear speeches like this, by people who understand what you're going through, who made it through and are now at the top of their fields. And so I keep going, I learn to accept my mistakes and keep moving forward, because that is the only way to get better. I thought his advice was so inspirational, it was not the usual "follow your dreams" advice, it was much more realistic. I can only dream that one day I will have the honor of working with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.