This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Warning Sign.

In the final chapter of Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, he once again discusses the views of Huxley and Orwell. He feels that Huxley's fear for too much entertainment may be occurring now and runs true more so than Orwell's fear that culture will become a prison. He then questions whether or not we truly understand the consequences of television. Postman also says that Huxley suggests that there is no cure to the fact that television is now overtaking our world, and even if there was there would be no point in suggesting one. I agree that television is over running us now, but do all of Huxley’s other ideas run true now? I feel that Orwell’s suggestions make more sense at this time then Huxley’s do. I mean it seems we’re being deprived of information and the truth is being concealed from us, more so than we’re being given too much information. Although, in the end I agree with both. I’m just really conflicted between the two.
What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.