This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Realization.

The main connection between all three books seems to be the fact that technology has and is taking over our lives. Alone Together was by far my favorite book out of the three not only because  it was the most current, but it was also the one that I could really relate to. After finishing Alone Together,  I began to realize that I had answers to questions that I did not  even know I wanted to know. Before reading, I had not realized how much technology has modeled the world and people we are  today. Knowing that the young, elderly, and even us teens have lives that are greatly tainted by social media, cellphones,virtual pets, and virtual lives has actually  made quite scared. Soon, we wont want to communicate, interact, or even love and live with other human beings. Knowing this has convinced me that i need to stop and step away from my phone and computer and just try to live. Did Turkle's book make anyone else realize something about themselves? 

3 comments:

  1. When I read Turkle's book, I too realized that I need to get away from my phone. I am constantly on my phone, and I very rarely leave my house without my phone in my hand. When I finished reading Alone Together I became very motivated to turn my phone off and go do something productive. I was about to turn my phone off when one of my friends sent me a text. I ended up texting instead of being productive like I wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was reading Turkle's novel, my perspective of technology definitely expanded. I truly realized how powerful technology's hold has on not only teens, but adolescents and the elderly as well. Teens are hooked to their phones, children are attached to their robotic toys, and the elderly are looking for companions in robots as well. Our entire society is formed around technology and that kind of scares me because have we become so dependent. "Alone Together" definitely helped me realize that I am too connected to technology and it's only going to hurt me in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading Turkle's book, I continually found myself shaking my head in agreement. I, and I'm sure most of you, can relate to her speaking of how we don't even like to communicate with our voices. We prefer texting and IMing, when we can just call someone and have the conversation over in a couple of minutes. I realized how attached I am to my phone and to Facebook. I was ashamed to know that I always check Facebook, even if I checked it five minutes before. This book, out of the three, opened my eyes the most to what our world is coming to with the advancing technology.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.