This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Google's Power?

As I was reading "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" by Nicholas Carr, I slowly found what Carr was trying to convey true.  I use to be an avid reader back in elementary school, but as technology became more advanced; my reading skills became less sufficient.  Reading a book has become very difficult; I constantly glanced at my laptop or phone for hours before I regained focus. Later in the article Carr states:

"It is clear that users are not reading online in the traditional sense; indeed there are signs that new forms of “reading” are emerging as users “power browse” horizontally through titles, contents pages and abstracts going for quick wins. It almost seems that they go online to avoid reading in the traditional sense."

I completely agree with this, in English, sometimes the book may not be interesting.  The first thought that comes to my mind is Spark notes.  Even when I do read books I find myself skimming for the main points and skipping minor details after being exposed to the Internet for years.  Personally, I think that the Internet has so many shortcuts, summaries, and entertainment that it has become so popular.  Does anyone else just browse the net, or look for summaries when you are trying to read?


2 comments:

  1. I read the book, but when I am not understanding something in the book, I look at SparkNotes for help. However, this has caused many problems in the past. For example, I begin to read ahead of the book because I realize that this is much easier than reading the actual book. This has sometimes decreased my test score because I missed something that SparkNotes didn't cover. Also when I read on SparkNotes, I eventually leave the website so I can check the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am reading a book that is challenging, I also sometimes look up certain details on SparkNotes. However, I feel that people shouldn't completely rely on SparkNotes because it doesn't go into as much detail as the actual book. The popularity of SparkNotes shows the increasing reliance of our society on technology to provide information and displays how we have become unwilling to think independently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.