This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Technology

After finishing Alone Together I've seen a new view of technology. With all of Turkle's interviews and statements I've figured out that there's a good side and a bad side to technology. Of course we all know the good side to technology, you can talk to your friends, you can research, shop online, and all that good stuff, but have you really thought about how it's bad for us? Technology actually does cause a disconnect from one another, in the past we used to send letters and make phone calls to each other, this has meaning behind it, but when the internet is introduced we now have IMing and social networking where when you talk to each other the meaning isn't as there as it was in he past. I personally think that technology is great, but at the same time it is affecting us in a not so good way. What's your view on this topic?

3 comments:

  1. I think that it is causing all of us to become more distant from each other. You brought up a good point about how we used to have to make a phone call or write a letter making our conversations more meaningful,but now all we can respond with is one word or more often one letter in a text. Our society has become more advanced but our communication has diminished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The online social networks can become very addicting when first introduced. I believe that it is much more appealing towards the younger generations. In the beginning, it is very amusing and entertaining, however, that affect will soon fade away, and we will catch ourselves thinking why even bother going on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter anymore? There's nothing more to do. Yet, we still keep our page, and go on occasionally when we feel like it, or just to see if there is anything knew we might want to know about. Then when we do end up finding something that flags our interest, we get attached all over again, and we find ourselves struggling to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As of now, I think technology is a positive thing. It has made our lives much more easier when you can do so much in the Internet. For example, you can go shopping, learn information, and play games on the Internet. It has also allowed people to connect with each other despite their distance from each other with the creation of cell phones and Facebook. However, I think it will become worse as time goes on. Technology will be much more appealing and advanced that we will become more materialistic. With the use of cell phones, IM, and Facebook on the rise, I think we will disregard our relationships because it will become less meaningful. Eventually, technology will consume us. :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.