After I read the Google article, I sadly have to agree that
he is right. He wrote that people are unable to read very long articles in
websites or the newspapers. Long time readers and writers even have problems
with this. Despite the fact that we actually read more because of the Internet
and cell phones, it is the way we read that makes it bad. They actually scan
the content instead to make things more convenient for them. Sometimes, people
realize that the content is too much for them and move on to a different website.
The same problem also happens to me. During the summer, I had trouble
understanding some of the books because I was starting to skim. However, I was
getting confused because I was missing some important content. When I read
reviews of games or movies, I don’t read the whole thing. I just look at the
grade, but this has backfired sometimes because I didn't read if it actually
fit my style of gaming or movies. I even have a friend that has serious
problems with this. He now has trouble absorbing the content when he reads. To fix
his problem, he has Google read the article to him so he can understand it
better.
I, unfortunately, would have to agree with you on this. Most of my reading has been done on the internet the past few years of my life, with the occasional book here and there. When it came to these books, however, I couldn't find myself appreciating the details that made up the backgrounds of the story; years before, this wouldn't have been an issue. I find this to be one of the more prevalent downsides to the internet: as we slowly adapt to a faster, more condensed lifestyle, we loose the ability to slow down and appreciate the smaller details in life.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that we have become increasingly worried about always being entertained. When reading a long article or book, I also have trouble paying attention sometimes because of distractions around me. Technology is causing our society to become more entertainment oriented and is creating an environment where we have trouble staying focused for long periods of time.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that our focus has been cut low, because I also experienced this during the whole summer. I would be reading the books and I would find myself becoming bored and pull out my phone to check Instagram and Facebook. I also put the google article in to Google Translate to have it read the article to me. I did this in order to multitask without getting bored. As technology advances so does our laziness.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. Some of the books i read for the summer homework took me quite a bit longer than they would have normally taken, due to my short attention span. For example, it took me about a week to get through "Who Owns the Future" because, when I would read, I would start to zone out, thinking about unrelated topics. I would then have to backtrack, in order to find the point at which I lost focus, and reread the section.
ReplyDelete