In the end, I do agree and hope to follow the best piece of advice he has received. I will try to enjoy myself even if I am stressed out, and I will try my hardest to "make good art."
This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.
Friday, August 23, 2013
Make Good Art
After finishing watching Neil Gaiman's speech at the University of Art 2012, I was inspired to write about it through this blog post. Neil Gaiman is the writer of one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes (The Doctor's Wife) and a fantastic author, writing books such as Good Omens. His advice is wonderful although some points are more difficult to achieve for today's generation. For example, it is harder to get into jobs without some form of higher education under your belt. To do pursue a career that you love, you must have experience and education. For example, to become a best-selling author, you must have some sort of experience under your belt, or else people will probably not buy your work. Also, how can you pay for rent and food if you are a struggling author? Though I suppose it would be ideal to go straight into a career path you want right after graduating, it is difficult and depends on your situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Like
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Annie, about how hard it is to get a job with no experience. I think he's just telling us to take a chance and if anything, just make yourself happy with whatever you do in your life. The only person you need to make happy is yourself.
ReplyDelete