This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Procrastination

The common theme throughout our summer reading as been technology and its impact on our society. Obviously everyone has figured this out, but some before others simply because they decided to use their time wisely and get a head start. But then there's a few of us who started much later, myself included. This can easily be identified as procrastination. To procrastinate means to defer or to delay and is a term that most of us become a victim to. To be quite honest, I procrastinate on almost every major assignment given to me. Whether it is working on a project, or even finishing some chores, I never use my time wisely. Why, you might ask? Technology. My phone is always within a couple inches of my reach because it is so hard to resist checking up on twitter or trying to finish watching a mini-series on YouTube. The way technology has affected me is that it is stunting my ability to remain focused on a simple task, and I'm sure I'm not alone. With new social networking cites being discovered each day, it's hard to stay away. Unfortunately, this is what our new generation of society has come to, but I can't imagine life without the internet. So thank you, Mrs. Fletcher, for helping me realize through these summer reading novels how drastic the impact of technology can be, and how I have fallen victim to it.

5 comments:

  1. I think procrastination definately has grown to be more of an issue in today's generation. Yes, this is mostly due to the various different technological advances that have happened in the last decade. I don't know one person who gets projects done the first night they get it when it is due in a week. When you think about it, it is very sad that our generation is being taught less and less time management skills to deal with homework or even other life issues. We can always do something after checking Facebook or Twitter instead of before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alicia, procrastination has become a bigger problem with this generation. I definitely do not use my time wisely, and the worst part is, I know when I am procrastinating. I have a pretty short attention span, so even if I do attempt to start a project early, I end up on my phone shortly after. I know that it's bad and I tell myself that I should be doing something productive, but for some reason the Internet has a strong hold on me. The summer reading books have definitely shown me that my parents' theories about the Internet being a major distraction were right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have fallen victim to procrastination many times over the past years. Since technology has been more appealing and addicting, it is pretty hard to stop. For example, I always say that I will stop playing games on my PS3 or computer and start doing homework much earlier. Sadly, better games keep on coming out each year and I become much more addicted. This has decreased my grades by a few percent. With the new PS4 and better,advanced games coming out later this year, I am worried that this will be the one that will actually ruin my grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I procrastinate far more than I would like to admit. It's because of all of the technological distractions I have. I find that I will begin to start doing some work, but all I focus on is my cell phone. I finally make the poor decision to check my phone, and I will end up spending hours texting, surfing the Web, and playing games. The worst part is the fact that once I get on my phone, I never want to go back to doing my homework. I eventually procrastinate until the very last second, and my work ends up being sloppy. I always say that the next time I start my homework,I will turn off my cell phone, but that is never the case. When my phone is off, I become even more focused on the texts I could be getting, what my friends post on Facebook, and everything else besides my homework. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a phone, so I can become more focused on my school work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fully aware that I procrastinate, but as much as I try to start my work, I just can't at times. My eyes become peeled to my cell phone or my computer screen. I used to read all the time before I had a phone and my laptop, but now i can barely read a book for twenty minutes without checking my texts, junk emails, or Instagram. Even if nothing new is there, I just have to check. When my phone is off and out of sight, I still cannot work constantly: I have to pop my knuckles or tap my fingers. I think procrastination is a terrible habit that cannot be broken easily and I think it is becoming a natural aspect of human nature.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.