This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Monday, August 19, 2013

"Technology is the Devil"

I was discussing Alone Together with my mother the other night. I was telling her about the relationships many people developed with robots, and how those relationships were severing the importance of human ones. My mom is not techonologically-savvy by any means. She needs me to work her e-mail, print documents, and she hasn't owned a cellphone since I was in the fifth grade.

I was asking for what she thought about a future with care-taker robots, and she simply rolled her eyes, saying, "Technology is the Devil." Her position explains my childhood that was completely void of mechanical toys and even video-games, but I wished she would've elaborated for me. 

What do you think she meant by "Devil"? Is our ever-advancing technology a deceptive tool for plugging us into a world of irrelevancy? Do you feel a future with care-taker robots is sinister? What impact has technology had thus far on our society and relationships? Based on this, what do you believe our future to look like?

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I do agree with your mother in the sense that technology could be ruining our future. I can't help but to think of the movie "Wal-E" when it shows the future controlled by care-taking robots. In that case, the future definitely does not look bright. The more technology evolves in our world, the scenes in Wal-E do not seem too far fetched, unfortunately. I'm not necessarily saying everyone is going to be floating around with televisions pressed to their faces, but the society and relationships in Wal-E were ruined by the advances of their technology. I do see our future being affected by technology in that sense because we might just be fully dependent on it, with the rate technology is progressing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tech technology canbe considered the devil because it is seducing and corrupting us. Can you imagine the human beings of the twentieth century and back reactions to the thought of having robot caretakers? They wouldn't trust them and they'd call us crazy

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your mother said that technology is the "Devil" I feel like she meant that if technology keeps progressing at the rate it is now then we are certainly looking at an ominous future. Technology has a great impact on our relationship with people, in both a positive and negative way. It has made communicating with people faster and more efficient but it has also made us lazy to the point where we don't even want to communicate with people in person. If technology keeps advancing then I can see our future being lonely and depressing, everyone will be depending on technology and no one will be able to do stuff on their own without using technology to help them in some way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.