This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Is Disney Our Future?

While I was reading Alone Together I started to think about what our future would be like if our technology greatly advances. As strange as it sounds, I thought of the Disney movie WALL-E. In the movie, humans have left Earth and live in a space ship. This space center is full of technology such as robots and holograms. In the movie, all of the humans are overweight, they get from place to place on floating chairs, and they have a holographic screen in front of them at all times. No one talks to each other face to face, they talk from holo-screen to holo-screen. Everyone is so mesmerized by their holo-screens that they don't even notice each other anymore. I fear that this may become our future if technology advances. What will happen if to us if this is our future? How will we connect with one another? What do you think our future will be like if we gain this advanced technology?

3 comments:

  1. I actually thought of the movie WALL-E as I was reading too. There is so much technology now and new inventions are constantly being worked on, so it does seem possible that some day our world could be like the one in WALL-E. We are proving it already by spending so much time on computers and phones instead of going out and socializing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Turkle referenced WALL-E in Alone Together. I found that WALL-E was similar to Brave New World because both stories were in a future where people were amused by TVs and other electronics all the time. People in both stories also seemed to be worry free, but they did not experience what life was like with emotion and activity. Pixar shows that in WALL-E people will want to live the lives they had on Earth, and people are looking for challenges in life. Pixar also shows a warning of what could happen if we become to attached to technology. I think technology will influence our lives more into the future, but we have to use it wisely in order for us to benefit from our new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about WALL-E as soon as I read this too. I wondered if we would eventually get to the point where we didn't have to communicate with the people around us, and if all we needed would be a screen in front of our faces telling us everything we need to know. We're letting technology consume us and we need to figure out a way to bring human interaction into our lives more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.