In chapter 2 of Alone Together by Sherry Turkle argues that Furbies or technology set up an emotional attachment to people. It is fascinating to see the children’s perspective with these toys. They attain emotional and physical attachment to the said toys; this results to their unwillingness to “kill” their toys by turning it off. Sherry Turkle lends Furbies to kids to test certain reactions and emotions that the kids will form with the said toy. The kids, with the participation of their parents, are suppose to write a journal about the process of “taking care” of the Furbies. Once the Furbies break down, the kids and the parents ask Turkle for a replacement. Which seems to me that although emotional attachment of the kids are noticable to the parents they still tend to allow their kids to play with Furbies. I conclude that people tend to welcome technology although they’re knowledgeable with its consequences. They often prefer to choose entertainment over permanent damage in their life.
I think that people will accept whatever makes their lives more entertaining or easier. It doesn't necessarily be robotic, but I agree with what you are saying about the kids and their parents. The aspect of what Turkle's trying to do that I don't agree with is that, at least in my opinion, she's making it seem like an experiment.
ReplyDelete