This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.
Friday, August 16, 2013
Who do we trust?
After finishing Amusing Ourselves to Death I clearly understand that Postman is opposed of the shift to technology. He explains as we rely more on television for facts we are losing the truth within the screen. He writes about politics, education, and religion, and that the television attempts to give us information but fails to due to its lack of truth. I understand that some shows on television can hide the truth but can it all really be a lie? Since we moved forward in technology we rely on televisions for our information more than reading books because of its convenience. Should television be strictly for entertainment and nothing else? Allowing education, politics, and religion to be a subject on television to inform us can be a lie but can't a book we read or an article also have false facts in it too? Both can have lies in them but we turn towards the television because on its entertainment fact it holds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I honestly find TV both entertaining and educating. Much of the stuff I learned outside school was on the History channel or Discovery channel, before they went to reality TV. Channels like PBS and the BBC show that television can be educating. Because PBS and the BBC are not always entertaining, people would rather watch something else. I do not think that television is lying to us, but you should always be careful about what you watch on TV. Television and books are not always reliable sources because they can both have bias points of view or inconclusive information, therefore making their opinions invalid. I want to also say that learning through videos has personally helped me in life. I do not think that television is a less reliable source of information.
ReplyDelete