This blog is semi-closed: anyone can read, but only invited guests can write. To participate in summer homework in 2013, you must send AFletcher an email requesting an invitation. At the meeting, I asked you to read the assignment on the blog so you could see what you were getting into before signing up; if you decide to participate, get the invitation so you can write.
Sunday, August 11, 2013
Goodbye Privacy
I just finished Who Owns the Future? and
I was thinking about some of the interesting topics that Lanier brings up. One
of these facts is that large technology companies such as Facebook and Google
are enticing people to use their free services so that they can analyze their
information. I also was surprised at the fact that sites such as Amazon or
Orbitz charge different people different prices. I thought that everyone was
charged the same, and the fact that they’re not shocked me. This method of
experimentation with pricing displays yet another way that Siren Servers
manipulate data to find out what people will pay for certain things. On some
sites, the data is misused because it is sent to advertisers and third parties.
This shows that consumer’s data isn’t confidential and is spread around the
Internet. Because of this, I have become more careful with what information I
provide on the Internet. This also
displays the decreasing amount of privacy that everyone now must deal with. The
fact that almost every aspect of a person’s life is monitored is an extremely
scary realization and shows the growing problems with our technology-centered
society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you on how privacy online practically does not exist anymore. These companies have always utilized our information, it's just some people are barely beginning to realize that. No matter how secure we set our privacy settings, it is never safe. Anyone can hack or use our information; therefore, people must become educated and logical to be able to decide what to post on social networks.
ReplyDeletePutting personal information online is basically a free pass for anybody to use it since nothing is truly private online. It is up to the individual to use their discretion as to not reveal anything important.Just as a potential employer would look up an interviewee, any person has the ability to gather confidential information if it is online.It is not prudent to trust websites like Facebook and Google when our information is so lucrative and free. With the monopoly that websites have on the free information we give them, anybody can buy information with enough money.
ReplyDelete